Signs That You Need to Contact an Electrical Contractor

Problems with your electrical system can manifest in many different ways—several of which could be missed by the average property owner. With this in mind, there are some key warning signs that you should watch out for in order to avoid further damages and expenses.

In this post, we will cover some of the ways that you can stay vigilant regarding your electrical system and ensure that your property is always safe and powered reliably.

Flickering Lights

This is typically one of the warning signs that homeowners are quick to notice. If you have noticed your lights flickering, the first step will be determining how far spread the issue is.

Flickering lights usually come from loose electrical connections, so if the problem is limited to a single light fixture, it can often be fixed by tightening the bulb. If the problem is affecting several lights or even your entire building, then this means the problem is likely farther back in the circuit or inside your breaker box. Contact a licensed contractor to diagnose it further.

Burning Smells

Even if you do not suspect that there are issues with your electrical system, burning smells inside your property should be cause for concern. Although new appliances might produce an unfamiliar odor on their first few uses, burning smells should not be ignored and can often point to unnecessary heat in your electrical system and fire hazards.

If the odor is coming from an electrical outlet, unplug anything connected to it and avoid using it until you can have an electrician inspect it. Additionally, if the smell is coming from your breaker panel or fuse box, you should get an expert to your property as soon as possible.

Buzzing Sounds

Your electrical system should function silently, so any noises when you use your lights or outlets should alert you to potential problems. If you notice buzzing, crackling, or sizzling sounds anywhere in your electrical network, it is recommended that you consult with a certified electrician to determine the source of the noise.

Hot Outlets or Switches

It is normal for some appliances to generate heat while operating, but the outlets themselves should never get hot. If you ever notice an outlet that is warm or hot to the touch, then you should immediately unplug anything connected to it or, if it is a light switch, turn it off.

An exception to this is dimmer switches. These devices are designed to dissipate excess electrical energy to dim the lights and can get slightly warm during operation. This being said, your dimmer switch should never get overly hot, so you should still have them inspected if they are uncomfortable to touch.

Frequent Electric Shocks

Most people are prone to receiving a static shock from time to time. However, if you find that you are frequently getting shocks inside of your building, especially when you come into contact with objects connected to your property’s mechanical system, then it could point to improper grounding.

It is always better to be safe than sorry, so it makes sense to hire an electrical company to ensure that your wiring is grounded safely.

Loose Outlets and Broken Light Switches

If your switches only work occasionally, or you notice the insides of your outlet moving around when you plug something into it, then you most likely have loose wiring. The longer you let an outlet stay loose, the higher chance that it could shake free, which could result in short circuits, fire hazards, and electrical shocks.

Fixing loose outlets is typically a quick process, so contact a professional electrical company to secure them swiftly and safely.

Outdated or Messy Wiring

If your property is over 40 years old or the electrical contractors took shortcuts during installation, your property might be due for an electrical inspection and upgrades.

Aluminum wiring that was commonplace during the 20th century is no longer considered acceptable for residential use because of its increased likelihood of fires. The same can be said about overly tangled wiring—if the work was rushed during installation, then there is a good chance that something might have been overlooked that could create a hazard down the line.

If you suspect that you might require an update to your wiring, or if you just want some extra peace of mind regarding your property, then a licensed electrical inspection is a great place to start.

Circuit Breaker Frequently Tripping

Having your circuit breaker trip from time to time is normal, as it is typically the sign of a simple overload. Circuit breakers are designed to trip when overloaded to prevent overheating and the risk of fires. That being said, if you find that your breaker is tripping on a regular basis, it is a sign that you should have your electrical system assessed by a qualified electrician.


This one may come as a surprise, but rats and mice are a common cause of electrical issues. These critters tend to chew on electrical wiring, which can damage and expose the bare wires. If these exposed wires begin to spark or overheat, then you could have an issue that is worse than your rodent infestation.

Watch for signs of rodent activity, such as droppings or nest material, and check any nearby wires for bite marks. Afterward, you should take steps to remove these pests from your property, as well as contact an electrician to ensure no serious damage has been inflicted on your electrical system.

Leave Your Electrical Work to the Professionals

Although it is important to understand the signs of a damaged or dangerous electrical system, it is also important to leave the full inspections and repairs to a knowledgeable technician.

Don’t take any unnecessary risks and contact a local electrical company with a history of great work. If you are in the market for a reliable electrical contractor, we here at Ty-wire Electric LTD. would be happy to lend a hand. Contact us anytime for prompt and professional service.